Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Tale of the Twins


The Tale Of The Twins

Source: Traditional Tales

Plot: magic spell

Setting: House of the Farmer and his wife

Characters: Farmer
Farmer’s wife
Son
Daughter
Ogress
Nymph



Once upon a time there existed a magical world. There lived a farmer and his wife. The world played magical wonders upon the couple. They had a long cherished desire for a child. They offered many prayers. In the end their prayers were granted. The wife of the farmer came to know that she was expecting a baby. Behind the house there was a beautiful garden with bounteous trees which were laden with fruits and clusters of flowers. However the farmer and his wife dare not step into the garden as it was owned by a wicked Ogress and everybody feared her. One day when the woman was standing by her window looking down into the garden, she noticed a flower bed full of the prettiest flowers and also a bunch of golden apples hung over the branches. Her eyes were fixed on the spectacular scene. She had a channelled desire to eat some of them. Day after day she would sit by the window, her eyes fixed on the golden apples for hours together. Eating those Golden Apples became an obsession to her and eventually she became pale and miserable. Her husband noticed her pensive mood.

Farmer: What is wrong, my dear?
Wife: I must eat one of those golden apples or I will die!!
Farmer: Then I have no other option but to sneak into the neighbouring garden and pluck some golden apples.

Then the husband hurried up and opened his back door occasionally stepping on a twig and plucked one of the golden apples.

Wife: How happy I am! I must eat this at once. (eats) Oh! This apple is as sweet as nectar. May I ask you to bring more of these golden apples?
Farmer: I cannot go back into that garden for fear of death. I know my words prove senseless against your fear of death.
Wife: I thank you a million times.

Later on in the night the husband hurried up the way to the garden once again. At that time the Ogress was collecting plants in her garden. The husband walked straight into the Ogress with his apple filled hands.

Ogress: How dare you come into my garden!!!(she screamed) is it to steal my golden apples? You will have to face the consequence of your actions
Farmer: please be to me ,I beg you.. In fact I am not a thief . My wife told me she would die if she did not have some of these golden apples
Ogress; Alright, you can take those apples as many as you want .But on one condition, you give me your baby when it is born.
Farmer: What a horrible thing !
Ogress: I heard your thoughts. Do not worry .I will look after the baby like my own child . The unbounded They joy of the couple did not last a moment even.. she had everything in ogress, even.

Nine months later, his wife gave birth tuto twins ,a charming boy and a beautiful girl. The unbounded joy of the couple did not last a moment even. They soon became miserable as they have to give one of their children to the ogress. Unable to decide which child be given to the ogress, they. relied on their instinct in that situation.

Ogress; Remember What you have promised me .
The farmer ; Yes, I am giving my loving daughter to you .
Ogress;I must keep this lovely one in a magical cave.

With the upbringing of the ogress ,the baby grew up to be a beautiful girl. She had everything in ogress’ house. But with all this, the daughter was lonely. Eachday the ogress would walk to her magical cave and chanted the words ‘open Sesame,’ then the door would open .She would sing to the daughter and entertain her. When she left the cave , she again chanted the words ‘close Sessame’.Then the door was closed. The man and woman were stricken with grief and repented for what they have done.

Son what is the matter? Why are you looking sad ? It gives me immense pleasure to attend that work.
Farmer: My dear son, you can’t lighten our grief-stricken heart . you know, your dear sister is under the care of an ogress.
Son; you trust me, I can +venture even to horizon to bring my sister..I will certainly release my sister from the clutches of the wicked ogress.
Wife;Oh! My brave son, undoubtedly you could do that . Good-luck.
Farmer: God-speed with you.
Son:Let me embark on my mission .I will search for you in every nook and corner sister.
He soon galloped away to the dense forest . The son searched for many and grew weary until he stumbled upon the cave. He could see a cave behind the bush and the door moving aside.
Son; I can hear some foot-steps .Let me go a little closer. I suspect, this might be the place where my sister is kept .some human is in the cave and a gigantic form is opening the cave.
Ogress;What!girl..Why do you look unhappy. I can bring Heaven and constellation ,if you please.
Girl;I am in a golden cage . My spirit had been dampening for twenty years.
Ogress; I want you to be happy every day my dear!

5 comments:

taro-kun said...

Nice, reads like a older stile feary tail.
ends quite suddenly, i take it that this would be the lead in for a larger story?

vc said...

The Tale of Twins is interesting and exciting. The story reminds me of John Milton's poem "Paradise Lost" There is a comparison between Adam and Eve the first parents of mankind and the farmer and his dear wife. The apple that is eaten by Adam and produced our Earth resulting Pander's Box!
Here the farmer's wife gave birth to twins after eating golden apple.
How interesting it is!

Chrimbinal said...

this is really cool .. reminds me of Jim Hensons storyteller, a kind of grim old Story tale(in other words this fic is really atmospheric).
Cool aesthetic style, just needs some grammar/spelling cleanup.
keep going :>

Mani said...

Mani's continued

Ogress; I want you to be happy every single day. The son hid in shadows when he noticed the ogress advancing towards the cave. Ogress chanted the word and the door creaked. Open.
Son; think, there may be a connection between my sisters residence and the ogress’ cave. The son watched it for several days but without a glimpse of his sister. God was gracious enough, one day he saw the ogress chanting the words “open sesame” and at once cave opened. By now the son knew how to open the door and close it by chanting the words, close-Sesame.
Son: let me discover how that chanting works with me. I would walk forward with the magic words “open-Sesame” The door opened. Could I speak with her, now. .undoubtedly she is my sister .You look exactly like my mother.
Daughter, who is your mother?
How did you get into your house?
Son: believe me; sincerely I am your brother.
Daughter: No I am ogress’ daughter.
Son: Do you think that you look like ogress’ daughter?
Then daughter realised that she did not look like ogress but still she did not trust that so called brother.
Daughter: if you are my real brother come back to this cave for fifty days. Then the son started coming repeatedly and the short hours he had with her, explained the relics of the outside world. On the forty-eight day, the ogress finished her work earlier and she found another stranger in her cave singing melodious lullabies to her adopted daughter. Watching him in the cave the ogress was furious. Unable to contain her wrath, she at once threw him out.
Ogress; A decision must be made to shift this girl to another place where no human could do to step in. Let me shift her into the highest tower. In the magical world.
Son; my wanderings are endless but it is of no use to me. Oh! Sister, sister, where are you? I found you once but you left like the moon disappearing into the clouds. I am tired; my foot can no longer guide me. I must sit somewhere and take rest under the tree till I get refreshed I will hide under this tree which has a large trunk.
He sat under the tree with his back supporting the trunk. As soon as he touched the tree, there arose a musical noise. The tree turned into a wood-nymph.
Nymph: I owe you a lot. I was cursed by a goblin who wanted to marry me, when I refused her proposal. , he transformed me into a tree. On my request , he told me that I could be turned into a nymph with the touch of any one of the twins. Now I imp benefited by your touch ,so I give you this magical wand as my gift to you. It works wonders over you. If you wave it and wish something his wish could be granted.
Son: I don’t know how could I show my gratitude to you. This kind of wand could serve my purpose.
Walked away into the forest with new hope. The son stepped into a clearing .
Son: I will swish this wand and wish for my residence. Oh! I can see my sister in the highest tower on the highest hill in my world. I shall seek her now.
So the prince set off at the speed of light with new purpose in his steps. So the prince sped on and on for days and days until he reached the clearing.
Son: There is the evil residence where my sister was kept. The son thought hard and hard how to reach the tower. An idea formed into his mind .
Son: with a whoosh and a swoosh I will wish for a broomstick.
The magical broom-stick appeared in front of him. The prince flew towards his ambition getting ever closer and closer. When he arrived inside the bed-room ,he found his sister asleep.
Son; Sister, sister, please wake up .I came here to take home.
Sister: Thank you ,brother, please let us go from this hell hole.
So they both mounted this magical broom -stick and sped on towards a new beginning.

AII is well that ends well.

adnan said...

thats a very interesting story, ive come across it before i think it was watercriss tho not apples, however, its very entertaining, yet it could use more details.